Monday, June 18, 2007

Survival Spanish

Hola!

In two weeks, I'll be in Guatemala. My attempts to learn some survival Spanish have not resulted in any confidence that I could converse with anyone besides a "hello! how are you?"

I'm still excited about going! Lately several work colleagues and other people have asked why I'm going. I explain that I believe I will have life-long ties to this country if I adopt from Guatemala. I'm going because I want to know if I want to have life-long ties to this country, its people, its culture, its language, its way of being.

While I'm waiting for my divine peace, it feels like a divine opportunity to visit the country appeared before me.

Just like when I was waiting for divine peace to know that it was the right time to move to Phoenix, I'm waiting for my divine peace about adopting. It's not easy. It's sometimes difficult when you have well-meaning friends who ask, "why aren't you doing anything?" I think the most hateful thing I've heard is "you're not ever going to adopt because if you were, you would have done it by now."

When people ask why I'm not doing anything, I give my short answer ~ it doesn't feel right yet. The long answer...... that's just for me to know

No comments: