Saturday, October 14, 2006

Swimming with the dolphins

I celebrated my 40th birthday swimming with the dolphins. When I arrive in Hawaii, I learn the Hawaiian word for dolphins is Naia, and it seems like a magical name to me.

The rest of the week in Hawaii I call to naia each morning to visit me. Each morning I have breakfast on the lanai of the oceanfront home near Kealakekua Bay. Each morning I see naia in the bay, and I feel blessed.

I am carrying a secret the entire time I'm in Hawaii. I brought along a Precious Moments figurine with me to represent the child, my daughter, I hope to have. My thought is that if I can keep this figurine with me all the time for the entire week, I may have some inkling of the responsibility I will feel when I have a true child with me. I know it may seem silly, but I liked the idea.

The day I swim with Naia, I know I can't possibly take the figurine on the boat or in the water. I ask someone to keep the figurine with them and explain to them the significance of keeping it safe. She doesn't laugh, and I am grateful.

Being in the water with naia gave me a peace and sense of community that remains with me. I knew the moment I saw two sets of dolphins & babies that I was meant to see those pairs. Other naia were swimming below and beside the moms & babies.

It was that moment when I knew I would have people who would love & support me and my child. We won't be alone. We will have friends and family who celebrate our family.

That was the day I decided to become a mom.

No comments: