Monday, October 23, 2006

Research, Research, Research

Before I left for Hawaii, I attended an adoption orientation session for a local adoption agency. I was still exploring my options. I hadn't fully committed to the idea of adoption because I was still thinking about in-vitro. I took two girlfriends for moral support since it is daunting to enter a room alone.

On paper, that agency seemed great. That agency is perfect for other people. However, that night I felt a twinge of discomfort. When I learned that the coordinator for Guatemala was in the Florida office, I contacted the Florida office to talk with her. I expressed my desire to talk with the Guatemala program director about some questions and gave my cell phone number.

Someone in the Phoenix office returned my call and told me that any questions I had could be answered by them.

uh-oh!

What a bummer voicemail to receive! This agency isn't my agency. I'm not shopping for shoes. I am looking for the partner that will help me bring my daughter(s) to me.

So, I'm back to researching agencies. Back online visiting websites. Back to asking friends and friends of friends (and even strangers) if they know of adoption agencies who specialize in Guatemala.

No comments: