Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Okay, here's the scoop

Before my caseworker left for vacation last week, she asked the program director to call me. She left a detailed note to explain my situation and circumstances. She explained that I have the flexibility of potentially staying in Guatemala for a period of time during the adoption process because I can make remote work arrangements with my business. She explained that my heart was truly focused on Guatemala. Instead of calling me, the program director waited to talk with the caseworker about my situation. So, that's why the delay happened.

My agency is very concerned about being able to complete my adoption before the Hague is implemented in the US. They are also concerned about what they are hearing from the lawyers in Guatemala about changes within Guatemala. For those reasons, my agency is choosing not to start any new cases after August 31.

I understand and trust that my agency has my best interests at heart. I understand that they are trying to avoid heartbreak from being matched with a child and not being able to bring that child home to US.

Good news is that my caseworker understands where my heart is. Yesterday I explained to her that I have already been thinking about my "what if" contingencies again. When I think about switching to adopt from another country, I truly prefer Guatemala. When I think about a domestic adoption instead of an international adoption, I prefer Guatemala. When I think about adopting from the US foster care system, I prefer Guatemala.

She is going to insist that the program director speak with me directly. She believes if the program director understands who I am that it might be possible to start the paperwork now.

I'm focused on divine timing. If it is supposed to happen now, it will. If the program director still says I have to wait, I will look for other open doors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since this is the 8th of August and they won't start cases after the 31st, why won't they let you start? I am missing something obviously.

Betsy said...

I have never heard of a case not going forward after the child has been matched, assuming you are at least in Family Court. The US won't stop your process mid cycle, really don't think so.

Go with where your heart is girlfriend!