Thursday, August 9, 2007

What I have to do to "start a case"

Several friends asked the same question I received in an anonymous comment yesterday:
Since this is the 8th of August and they won't start cases after the 31st, why won't they let you start? I am missing something obviously.

To start a new case, I have to have the following documents completed:
  • 2 Notarized birth certificates
  • Fingerprint card from the police
  • Completed homestudy (a homestudy involves about 40 separate items)
  • 1 Letter from police stating that I have no criminal background
  • 1 Letter from my doctor stating that I'm in good health to raise a child to adulthood
  • 1 Letter from my employer/accountant stating that I'm financially able to care for a child
  • 2 witness letters that must be notarized (signed in front of a notary)
  • 1 reference letter stating that I'm of good character to raise a child

All of those documents have to be certified within the state of Arizona and sent to Guatemala consulate in Los Angeles for legalization. Somewhere in the process I think the documents have to be translated to Spanish.

Oh, yeah... last one is a biggie to 'start a case' to adopt now. I have to have my immigration approval from the US government.

Now is it clearer why I might not be able to get everything done by August 31? And, the program director isn't talking with me until tomorrow.

Two things are still working in my favor.

I am in between projects so I have the time to do all these activities as long as other people (aka homestudy provider, police, notary, etc) can do what they need to do on my timetable.

I trust that if it's time, it will happen. After all, the door is still open since I haven't yet talked with the program director.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did the director call you yesterday? Inquiring minds...