Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Visiting Antigua

Today we toured a coffee plantation and then went to the market at Antigua. My shopping self took over, and I had a great time!

Of course, I could have bargained better. I must admit that it takes me some time to warm up to negotiate appropriately.

The first item I bought was a baby sling. Nellie showed me how to wrap the cloth around my body and fit the baby inside it. Just holding the fabric made me smile & shiver.

When we went to Nim Pot (another market area), I met a couple in the process of adopting two baby girls. They are actually living in Guatemala with their girls while they wait for the court to finish its processing.

Their girls are currently 10 months old and 3.5 months old. Their names are Maya and Alia, and my immediate thought was "wow, combine their names and you get Malia"

This morning as we were driving, I spoke with Fontaine about working in Guatemala. He said the American schools are always in need of people to teach. They pay well and provide a place to live. The school year is January through October.

Perhaps I can arrange to be my baby's foster mom. I can teach and we can live together here.

That's an idea worth pursuing.....

No comments: