Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Talking Really Helps!

This afternoon I spent an hour getting caught up on favorite blogs (like Ella and Savanna) and reading new blogs (like Angel). It truly helps to read what other people are experiencing.
Thank you for sharing!

In addition to feeling better, the blogs are informative. I've had this mental hang-up that domestic adoption wasn't an option for me. Since I'm single, it didn't seem probable that a birthmom would choose a single woman to be the parent.

Tonight I also talked with Barb - she's married to my college friend Craig. They have a beautiful son who is biracial. The birthmom knew she couldn't handle a third child so that's why she chose adoption.

I have always heard that birthmoms choose you for lots of reasons. My friend Beth's birthmom wanted to be the one to help two people become first-time parents. Craig & Barb's birthmom chose them because of how they treated her two other children.

She said a birthmom can choose you because you have a goldfish or because you have a college degree. One family she knows was picked because they had a farm.

Barb said that being single doesn't have to be a problem. She said it was possible that someone would just be glad that an independent career woman could provide for her child in ways that she can't.

It helped to talk with Barb today. It helped tremendously.

I think I am going to explore domestic adoption for Hispanic or biracial child. I have no idea what that means in terms of agencies or attorneys or whatever.

All I know is that today a domestic adoption feels more comfortable than pursuing an adoption with Guatemala. Like someone else mentioned in their blog today, I'm not giving up on Guatemala. I'm just putting Guatemala on hold until their process is more stable.

Putting Guatemala on hold doesn't mean putting my dream of being a mom on hold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! YAY for you!!! Every birth mother is different just like every family is different. If you can give a child a wondeful nurturing home then GO FOR IT. I think it is awesome.

Anonymous said...

"She said a birthmom can choose you because you have a goldfish....."