Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Can't Hurt to Ask Some Questions

Tonight I emailed two social workers to ask about how quickly they could do homestudies. I also asked some specific questions about my situation because I need some information to know if I would be approved or not. Being a self-employed single woman does not have its advantages in the adoptive process. I need to know their guidelines for approving homestudies specific to that situation.

One fear is that I will not get my paperwork dossier complete by Nov. 1. That date seems to be the one that is most important from Guatemala perspective.

Another fear is that I will get my dossier complete by Nov. 1 and then not have an ethical agency or attorney who will work with me.

Prospective adoptive parents who are deep into their processes are saying the same thing - Get the dossier complete. Switch countries if necessary when the dossier is complete. It's fairly easy to update homestudy for a new country if necessary.

Since I'm not relying on my original agency, my fees (at this point) are all fees I'd have to do regardless of country.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Sounds like a good plan. Took me a month to complete the entire dossier. You can do this but you will be VERY busy. Do you already have the name of an attorney in Guat. to work with?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Betsy at this point. I think it's better to wait this rollar coaster out and see what happens. I know how badly you want to make this happen now that you are ready, but maybe your baby (no mater where he or she is) is NOT ready.

You said a while ago that pushing things almost always ends up in heart ache for you and this really seems like you are pushing for things to happen. I know it's hard but it's time to stop and listen to what your heart and G-d is telling you.

Good luck. We will be here regardless of what you decide but that's my opinion right now. It is just too volatile in Guat right now.