Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NPR on Guatemalan Adoption

If you visited my blog earlier today, you saw a beautiful baby boy. He's being considered so the agency asked me to delete the post with his picture.

NPR has an interesting report on Guatemalan adoption today. I say "interesting" because I'm not sure it was truly objective.

Unfortunately, they interviewed a UNICEF representative. Since I no longer trust anything UNICEF says, I'm not sure if I even want to provide the link. However, to be objective - here's the link. As I've mentioned earlier, UNICEF is only interested in stopping inter-country adoption in Guatemala, and the Guatemalan president wants the money UNICEF is promising for his own pockets.

The NPR report also talked about Casa Quivira. What wasn't said in the report: the rumor within the adoption community is that this orphanage was targeted because they allowed gay couples to adopt. Guatemala, like many other Latin American countries, is extremely homophobic. Some single prospective adoptive parents have had to include notarized signed statements professing their heterosexuality in their dossiers.

I agree that there are some reforms needed in Guatemala. However, I do not believe the corruption in Guatemala is any more prevalent than other countries (like Russia, as an example, where parents have been told to bring thousands of dollars in cash for "donations" when they pick up their children)

No comments: