Saturday, November 4, 2006

Celebrating a First Birthday!

My friend Beth adopted a beautiful baby girl domestically. Today was her first birthday party, and it was more fun than I anticipated.

It's always unnerving for me to go somewhere alone. I know someday I will get over it, but for now, it's still scary. I hadn't met her husband before. I only knew one mutual friend, and I hadn't confirmed that she'd be there with her family. It took a lot for me to get in the car and drive to the park for the party.

Wow! Before I even found our mutual friend, some people are chatting with me about Purdue football. Thank God, I'm feeling more comfortable.

Watching the children play is wonderful. There are different cultures and a mix of families. I am feeling more comfortable every moment. I am feeling like I really could have the opportunity to celebrate MY child's first birthday instead of feeling like I'm on the outside looking in.

While we're eating lunch, I sit across from a couple who have known Beth & her husband for a long time. We get to talking about adoption. Soon, I'm telling this wonderful couple all about Guatemala and its adoption program. She has a friend from Guatemala who is single and may be thinking about adoption.

Now I feel like God sent me to the birthday party to make that connection.

No comments: