Monday, November 27, 2006

"I think you made a good choice."

Reality is beginning to sink in for my parents. I'm not sure if they thought I'd "outgrow" the idea of adoption or wait until I got married. But, now that I've submitted my application, they are asking different questions.

Someone at my mom's church told her that Guatemala adoptions cost $50,000. At first, she was astounded at the amount my agency quoted (approximately $30,000). I explained to her that the money is used for foster care, attorney fees, and court costs in Guatemala.

I also explained my rationale for choosing Guatemala. It's not a matter of money. It's a matter of my heart.

I feel more strongly drawn to that country than any other country. The babies are with foster families from birth and are never placed in an orphanage. A child from Guatemala is more likely to be healthy, young, and known the love of a family.

If I can't be with her from the day of her birth, it's worth it to me to ensure she has the care of a loving foster family until the legal procedures are complete.

When I was reviewing CWA's programs, I created an Excel spreadsheet with all the fees and associated dollar amounts. I sent it to my mom so she could be better educated the next time someone comments on how expensive it is to adopt.

She sent a reply pretty quickly: I think you made a good choice.

Now THAT made my heart sing and put a smile on my face.

No comments: