Thursday, December 7, 2006

Craigles understands

A friend from college called me tonight. I don't remember the last time we talked, but I called him a few weeks ago when Ohio State played Michigan. He's a big Ohio State fan, and I don't like Michigan. It makes it easy for me to cheer for Ohio State at least once a year.

He & his wife adopted a darling little boy two years ago. When I told him my news, he was excited to hear that I've submitted the initial application to an agency.

What I appreciated most from our conversation was his advice on saying NO if necessary. He reminded me that I'm the one who decides and it's permissible for me to say no to the agency, to friends, to whoever needs to be told.

He & his wife said no to some children for various reasons before being blessed with Owen. They were actually in the delivery room with Owen's birth mom and cut the umbilical cord. Wow!

Before we hung up, he told me that I can call him & Barb anytime. They know what kind of rollercoaster I'm on. It's good to know I'm not alone on the rollercoaster.

[Craigles was my special nickname for him when we were in college. Even if he doesn't appreciate my public use of his name, I'm sure he'll smile & show off his dimples if he reads this post!]

No comments: