Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Go figure!

This morning my mom relates a story that makes me laugh!

It seems that one of my parents' friends let it slip that I was adopting when they were all together on Monday. One guy says, "why doesn't she just get pregnant?" Another guy chimes in with "that would be a lot cheaper" and his wife says, "at least, then you'd know half the biology."

My mom says it's because of my dad. Then she says, "I think your dad is going to get some ribbing the next time we're all together."

LOL LOL LOL some more....

After she makes this comment, I remind my mom of past discussions. Months ago my mom made it clear that she AND my dad could support an adoption, but they really weren't comfortable with a pregnancy. I suppose a physically pregnant unmarried daughter was a problem for my conservative parents.

When I remind her (it was not a one-time discussion, it was multiple discussions over many months), she says, "well, a baby is a baby. Your dad is worried about you handling all this responsibility on your own."

Now, honestly, I'm not sure if it's my mom or my dad or both who would be less than thrilled with a physically pregnant daughter.

It's made me think about it again though.... do I want to stop all this legal poking & prying and be pregnant physically? Would that really be easier?

If I got pregnant physically, who would rub my feet when I'm tired? Who would take care of my cats' litterbox? Who would pick up my clothes from the floor if I'm too big to bend over and pick them up? Who would I trust enough to be in the delivery room with me?

I will think about it some more... but I'm fairly certain that I am doing what I'm intended to do.

No comments: