Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Spanish lessons

I've wanted to learn Spanish for years, and "learning Spanish" has been on my perpetual "to do" list. Choosing to adopt from Guatemala is only accelerating my desire to take action now.

Knowing Spanish will help me talk with my child's earliest caregivers. Some people may not choose to stay in touch with their children's foster parents. I know myself well enough to know that I will want to remain in touch with them through the years.

I want to create a bilingual home, and Spanish seems like a natural fit in today's society. Living in Phoenix will provide lots of opportunities for me to practice my language skills.

I've been researching ways to learn Spanish as an adult. No program seemed to be a good fit for me. University conversational Spanish classes seemed to take too long. One company offers small group learning but it's based on their curriculum and schedule.

Nothing felt right until today when I spoke with Debisu Hyde from Thunderbird. They provide a customized, individual instruction program that just might be perfect for me.

She asked why I was interested in learning Spanish. I explained that I have dual purposes for learning. I know being bilingual in Spanish provides more business opportunities for me. I also told her about my adoption plan. She was thrilled for me, and we ended up talking for almost 30 minutes. She was a single parent for 8 years and knows the ups & downs of being a single mom.

What a blessing she was! Her warmth and encouragement felt sincere and affirming. When we hung up after our conversation, I felt like I had made a new friend!

She's sending more info to me via email. I can't wait to get it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the 3rd time I've tried to leave a comment. Aarrrgh!
It's great you are going to learn Spanish! I hope to too! I want to stay with a family in Guat and go to school during the day. They have these month long programs (forgot the names).

Thanks for your comments on the blog. I look forward to hearing from you after you see some of the other folks.