Monday, January 8, 2007

Male reactions - dating and friends

Betsy mentioned that it would be interesting to hear about reactions of guys when I tell them I'm adopting. My guy friends have definitely reacted differently than "potential date" guys.

Guy friends are pretty much in favor of adoption and believe I'll be a great mom. One guy friend volunteered to be a donor if I wanted to have a baby physically as long as it was a natural conception with lots of practice - LOL

One guy friend thought that adoption was my second choice (as in "I don't want you to settle for a second choice when you really want to be married and have children physically"). I quickly explained to him that I had thought about adoption since I was a kid; now he doesn't see my decision as a second choice at all.

This weekend I had a free four days on an online Christian dating site. I responded to a few emails and mentioned that I was adopting to the guys.

One guy's reply was the classic "why would you do that when you're young & you can still have children of your own?" [so when I adopt, I'm just borrowing her? give me a break!]

Two guys were great.... One's response was "I am excited hearing that you are about to adopt a child from Guatemala. That is one of the most precious and commendable things anyone can do. Giving a child a better life is so praiseworthy! God has a special place in heaven for you! I hope the process goes well for you and my prayer is that it does. Please keep me informed." He works as a counselor in marriage & family therapy so he probably sees a lot of messed up domestic situations.

The other guy emailed, "Wow! Adopting parents are sorely needed. You are an angel."

I'm not an angel, and I am not looking for a special place in heaven. However, I was glad that it wasn't a deterrent. Okay, maybe it was a deterrent for the guy who thinks I ought to have a "child of my own" but that's his problem. He's still emailing me so I prefer to think it isn't a problem at this time.

I am going to have a child of my own - a beautiful, happy, healthy baby girl from Guatemala!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Great post! I hope you get something started w/ the two "normal" guys. Are there any future date plans?

Lucinda Naia said...

Highly unlikely - neither guy lives within driving distance.

Truth told - I'm pretty ambivalent to dating these days. Dating websites feel like online bars, and I prefer to spend my time with real people in real life