Thursday, January 11, 2007

Home study prep / Male role model

I love my agency's planner! It is thoroughly detailed and explains each step of the process.

Today I was reading the information related to the Home Study (next action after filing my I-600A form). The information in my planner is tailored towards what Guatemala wants to see in my homestudy. Total of 25 topics are covered in the homestudy.

The last topic is specifically for single women adopting from Guatemala, and that paragraph threw me for a loop. It is about male role models.

I have thought about male role models for my daughter. I believe she needs male role models in her life. However, Guatemala asks me to designate a primary male role model.

It is required that one primary male role model/male figure be identified. Include details about this man such as his occupation, the qualities that make him appropriate for this role, and what his involvement with the family and child will be like.

hmm..... let's see....

I believe my brother would be great, but he lives in St. Louis. Although he isn't thrilled that I'm going to be a single mom, I know he will be fabulous with my daughter. He's amazing with his godchildren, and I trust him to be there for her.

Won't it seem odd that the man I prefer to be my daughter's role model doesn't live near us?

Do I need to think about someone else because of physical proximity? A couple of my guy friends already see themselves as male role models for her. However, I'm not sure I want to designate either of them as her primary male role model. I don't want them to feel burdened because of my choice to adopt. It isn't their responsibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think family makes the most sense. They're your family - they stick with you. I would pick based on whether you feel closer to your brother or dad, personally. Because you can speak with the most conviction about the person you feel best about

Betsy said...

Yeah, I agree w/ anonymous. I didn't have to specifically do this. Interesting. I think whoever is asking you do this wants to make sure you have given it thought and will try to give your baby a good male role model throughtout life. It's okay to have 2 or three. They will likely change during your baby's life anyway.