Thursday, January 18, 2007

On my soapbox!

I am part of the Arizona Adoptive Families group and look forward to the email digest each morning. This morning I read someone's post about potentially being interviewed by the local newspaper for an article about adoption to be published in November. The reporter wants to speak with adoptive parents.

I decided to respond. It took a HUGE amount of courage to send something because I had to express that I am a single woman choosing to be a mom.

When I first joined this group and introduced myself, a woman chose to use my introduction as a platform for discussing her views on singles, parenting, adoption, etc. She has been involved in adoption for many years as an "expert" and as an adoptive parent. I use the quotes because I'm sure she has a lot of knowledge; she's just not tactful in expressing her opinions.

Her behavior made it more difficult for me to be involved with this group. But, today I decided to act differently.

So, here's what I sent to the group:

I am a waiting parent who is choosing to be a single mom.

I am at the beginning of my journey. I don't know if my baby girl will be home from Guatemala by Novemeber. With all the uncertainty with Guatemala and the Hague treaty, I am trusting that everything will work out for the best no matter what the outcome.

If the reporter is interested in talking with someone still pursuing an adoption from Guatemala in face of adoptions potentially being stopped by our government or theirs, I am willing to be interviewed.

My motivation: I want people to know there are thousands of babies at risk if a compromise isn't found. Guatemala was second only to China in number of adoptions last year. 4,135 children from Guatemala were placed in 2006.

Unlike China, there are no orphanages or state facilities to take care of the children if adoptions are stopped.

I will get off my soapbox for now.

Thanks for listening.

I will let you know what happens.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Hi Lucinda,
I stumbled across your blog. I acknowledge you for your bravery. My husband and I are also adopting from Guatemala. We just had our first homevisit last week. Maybe we can share stories along our journey to becoming parents. Our blog is www.fortheloveofellarose.blogspot.com. stop by and take a look.

Betsy said...

You go girl! Kick some butt!

I like your spirit.