Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Male reactions, part 2

When I posted earlier about male reactions, I didn't include the reactions from men I've dated in the past.

One of the first guys I told was my college sweetheart. We have remained friends through the years, and I treasure our friendship. He's been married for years and has five kids! I saw him a few months ago when he was in my town for a training course. While we were enjoying dinner, we talked about my decision to become a single mom... either by birth or adoption. He thinks I'll be a great mom, but he was worried about being a SINGLE mom. He knows how much his wife deals with when he travels, and he was concerned about that.

I also talked with Mr. ANQ (Almost Not Quite) before Christmas to tell him about my plans. That was a more sensitive discussion because I wanted to marry him & have his children. He offered his congratulations and wanted to show support for what I'm doing. He wants the best for me and knows that I'll be a wonderful mother. We're just still in an awkward stage, and we can't seem to talk easily about the personal aspects of our lives. Given how long we have known each other and how much we shared in the past, I hope that we move beyond the awkward stage.

From my perspective, the two most important guys I've dated support my decision. At one time, I could have married either guy and created a life with him. I'm also thankful that I'm single for now.

No comments: