Thursday, January 25, 2007

Guatemala, birth, alternatives

This morning I had a great email from my friend in St. Louis. Her friend is adopting from Guatemala and just returned from her visit trip. She sent a short description of the trip and pictures of her friend's daughter. What a beautiful girl!

It was a timely email since I feel a little bit like I got tossed back into the "decisions, decisions" thought process.

Given the potential uncertainty with Guatemalan adoptions, my case manager suggested I have a second country in mind "just in case". My agency works with seven countries so I have some options. After the conversation with my mom yesterday morning, I feel like I could consider a birth child.

But here's the thing....
As a single woman, I believe I prefer adoption to birth.

Yes, I admit that I'd love to experience pregnancy. However, anytime I visualize myself as being pregnant - there's always a guy who loves me in the vision. It's a natural conception (wink) with lots of love, happiness, joy, laughter, etc. I used to tell Mr. Almost-Not-Quite that I wanted our babies to have my hair and his eyes.

Alternatives.... I like saying I have an alternative country in mind instead of a second country.

My alternative may be Kazakhstan.

No comments: